Monday, July 28, 2008

Common Sense Isn't Everything, You Know

I woke last week to the lovely aroma called eau du natural gas. I am not talking about the natural gas my boys embrace so freely. I am talking about the natural gas which reduces houses to splinters in seconds. After spending considerable time hoping to wake from the bad dream, I acknowledged that perhaps I was already awake.

Moving stealthily so as not to make a spark, I slowly moved down the hall to check the carbon monoxide monitor. The readout was 000, so I knew we were all still alive.

The problem was that the gas odor was stronger than ever. After thinking about what to eat for breakfast and wondering what was for dinner, I considered waking my children and moving them from the imminent danger of the natural gas. But wait! *sniff* *sniff*

It was coming from outside!!! We were safe!!! So it was just our yard that was going to explode!! Fantastic!!!

I thought about my elderly neighbor all alone in her big house. No, I didn't hear her dog barking. I thought about my lovely neighbors on the other side. No, their dog wasn't barking either. Deciding that they might be dead already, I chose to leave them alone.

*Sniff* *sniff* The gas seemed to be lessening. So ... I left my sleeping children in their beds and drove over to work to pick up some textbooks.

Okay. I know you've just decided not to will your children to me, but everything turned out just fine. Exactly as it should. A little construction incident nearby was the culprit. Just a little illegal venting of gas lines.

How do I know? I know because I have a neighbor with common sense and she called the gas company. And my own children? The children I left behind? What they don't know won't hurt them. At least this time it didn't.

Now, if you will please excuse me, I going back to put my head in the sand for a while. Why don't we wait a little while longer before you send me that Mother of the Year award?

12 comments:

Trish said...

I just came over from Midlife by Farmlight and she was right..you have quite the knack for writing things in a humourous but a way which we can all relate to. Love your post today...will come back for a visit!

Mental P Mama said...

Scary stuff...that happens here every once in a while, too. Glad it all worked out...

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

Mother of the Year? Try Mother of the CENTURY!!

Btw, why are you feeling queasy after reading my blog?

Hallie

Big Hair Envy said...

Did the kids tick you off THAT much?? hahaha! They really mean well :)

Keeper Of All Things said...

Yes but the important thing was you were able to get out of the house without waking everyone up....lil bit of gas goes a long way!!!lol

Peggy said...

Hi returning your visit to my blog and I am glad I dropped by!We have all done something like that but binned it fast wouldnt think of photographing it. One question why 'caution'as a nom de plume? it does not seem to apply the posts I have read so far!!

Laura ~Peach~ said...

lol you crack me up!

ga.farmwoman said...

I understand completely. Let sleeping dogs, I mean kids, lay.
I am sure that Mother of the Year award will be waiting for you, a little later, maybe???
lol..
Have a good day.
Pam

Pleasing Procrasinator said...

LOL, this is great...as long as it wasn't COMING from inside, it's okay.
Just a little aroma to help the children sleep more peacefully?
Glad to hear everyone's okay.

"JEANNELLE" said...

Yes, glad to hear it wasn't coming from inside your house. Good thing it didn't cause an explosion in the construction area. Years ago a tiling backhoe dug into a gas line on a farm in our county resulting in a gigantic explosion which killed several people. Now, there are more safety precautions about digging, thank goodness.

pam said...

The Boy has been watching reruns of "The Nutty Professor" online. I may have a new nickname for you. I'm just sayin...

;)

Half-Past Kissin' Time said...

Um...well...we can chalk this up to a lesson well-learned. Next time, you'll call the gas company. Right??