Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Cupboard Cooking

A few weeks ago we ran out of money.  I mean, we weren't homeless or destitute, but we were pretty much cashless and would remain that way until payday which was three weeks away.  What that meant for our family was a buckling down of spending or rather, as Checkered reminded me, a stopping of spending.  Much to my own dismay, that included the grocery store, too.

At first I figured we could all just diet and fast until payday and maybe Checkered and I could regain our youthful, svelte figures that we never really ever had in the first place. But then I remembered that I owned some children.  No, we did not eat them.

So, clever homemaker that I am, I announced,
"What an exciting adventure this will be for the Flag family!  Until the end of July, we shall be cupboard cooking. Our meals will generate with the ingredients currently living in our cupboards.  Let's see how creative we can be!"
And clever we were for a meal or two.  Then my creativity failed me, my picky eaters failed me and the weatherman failed me.   We were quite bubbly from beans.  We were not quite satisified from cereal night.  And it was simply too hot to cook the mystery, label-less foods I found in the back of the cabinets.
So brainstorm of brainstroms, while talking to my sister, Red, one day I decreed that we would be eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for dinner that night.  It was fast, cool, and a guaranteed winner.
Dinner time arrived, and I was happily loading an entire loaf of whole wheat bread with peanut butter when the doorbell rang.
Who could it be?
To be continued...
HINT: It was NOT Red [who lives a mere 1800 miles from me:( ]

6 comments:

Pleasing Procrasinator said...

I love the idea of cupboard eating. So easy.

BTW, my template is from the site on my blog.
And the Keeper and I are not sisters we are really close friends. We lived together and mom claims her. Her oldest daughter was my parents first grandchild of sorts. Even my grandparents seen her as theirs.

Mental P Mama said...

What an adventure. I think I will try to use up all our stuff, too. By the way, hurry up and finish this story please. The suspense is killing me;)

Big Hair Envy said...

.....Santa Clause with a bowl full of jelly? (To go on the sandwiches, of course!)

I LOVE the idea of eating everything in the house before venturing out for more. Unfortunately, my family does not share my sense of adventure!!!

Anonymous said...

I have been thinking seriously about cupboard cooking myself; I just wish I was a better cook and could DO something with all of that pasta we have! :)

Mrs4444 said...

P.S. Looking forward to finding out who it was!

Laura ~Peach~ said...

I'd say red called pizza hut and had em deliver for you!
LOL beats me but I do the cupboard cooking thing every so often... same with the freezer i simply refuse to buy more till whats in there is used ... keeps it from getting shoved to the back and never used... and everyone complains and cries ...