Friday, October 24, 2008

Bad Memories Motivate


This is our new chin-up bar. Its arrival in our home is due to our daughter's recent completion of the Presidential Physical Fitness test. She did well despite having avoided most any type of physical exercise for the last decade or so.


It was also prompted by a conversation Checkered had recently with his friend. They were commiserating about their junior high and high school years when they couldn't do chin-ups in gym class, when they weren't nominated for any homecoming courts, and where maybe life wasn't so happy. But those guys grew up to be smart guys, and great husbands and dads. And Checkered grew up to be very sexy. But they never forgot those no-chin-up days. Nor did they forget the less-than sympathetic gym teachers.

So we have a new chin-up bar.

I watched in amazement as my oldest three kids did a chin-up or two or three. I watched as Checkered did lots of chin-ups and pull-ups, and my mouth fell open when my youngest guy did chin-up after chin-up after chin-up after chin-up...

Then it was my turn.

I got my hand grip just right. I got Checkered to promise that the door frame wouldn't break. I pumped up my courage and pulled.

My Christmas gift to myself is going to be one chin-up by the 25th . Just one.

I hope I make it.

10 comments:

Laura ~Peach~ said...

i always hated chin ups... could never do them and was so green at those who could and seemilgly woudl for hours on end BLAH... I have faith in you you will do it!!!
and while you are at it put my name on one OK :D

Julie said...

I am with you, I cannot do them... good luck in your quest to get it done by Christmas...

As Cape Cod Turns said...

Chin ups are hard.

I've got to get back to my chocolate chip muffin.

Unknown said...

I could never do a chin-up to save my life. I think I could do one pull-up.

Good luck with the goal though. Keep us updated on the progress.

Marlene

Anonymous said...

Are you using the overhand grip or the underhand grip?

In high school, the girls didn't have to do chin-ups. We had to do the "flexed arm hang"!! You hoisted your skinny self up there and hung on for dear life:(

One by Christmas? Impressive. That's MY kind of exercise goal...

Unknown said...

You are soooo sweet. I appreciate the super supportive comment you left me! She is super skinny and has a few "other" issues as well. Hula Hoop girl's car was hit by a tractor on her way to the Prom a long while back and she was in a coma for a while. I think it makes her feel comfortable with the constant motion and all.

Grandma Tillie's Bakery said...

oh gosh I am so with you. I would be thrilled if my old lady falling apart shoulder would let me reach up and grab the bar, let alone actually do a chin up.

Dr.John said...

My boys had one of those bars. I failed again and again. I'd like to say I finally succeeded but it would be a lie. Good luck.

Karen said...

Chin-ups are SO overrated.

Pancake said...

chin ups are tough!! YOU can do it! (Cheat and use a chair and do a chin down)