Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Free Press and I Part Ways

Call me a casualty of economics.  Several months ago, my fave newspaper, the Detroit Free Press, announced that it would reduce home delivery of the paper.  The new plan was home delivery on Thursdays, Fridays, and Sundays.  On the other days, customers would have the option of reading the paper online or going to a store or paper box and buying a hard copy (which meant the customer would actually pay twice that day.)  I heard and understood that the paper was in financial trouble, so I was willing to adjust to help out.
At first I didn't think it would bother me to read the paper online.  I would simply get on my souped up Gazelle and read away while getting skinny.
What happened, however, was that on the days the paper didn't get delivered to my house, I usually forgot to read it online. And when I did remember to go online to read it, it felt awkward.
So when our subscription runs out in the next couple of weeks, we won't renew.  And what that means is that I'll have no idea what is going on around me. 
I wonder if I will even notice the change.

12 comments:

Kelli Nørgaard said...

There is something magical about opening the REAL paper...getting ink on your fingers and the smell.... makes it hard to move to an electronic version....but guess we have to move forward!

Laura ~Peach~ said...

we only buy the sunday paper and that is if we remember to go to town and get it... been that way for years!

Decadent Housewife said...

You'll have more free time to type things here for us to think about. Really. It's amazing how you will still be up on stuff.

MsTypo said...

That's so weird! How did the pick which days? It just seems so random! That would annoy me. Good for you for planning to cancel!

Lucy and Ethel said...

Don't worry - we haven't known what was going on around us for 13 years unless we watched the news on TV or read the headlines online. The local paper is truly L-O-C-A-L; the only time it branches beyond the county is when Appalachian State (30 miles away) plays football.

I've adjusted to oblivion quite easily, even though it may tend to make me appear dumber than I am....

Lucy

Reddirt Woman said...

The Norman Transcript decided we lived too far off the main road (1/2 mile) to continue delivering our paper so at the end of last year, they quit delivering. When we called and inquired about it they said that they would throw it up at the intersection where we turn onto the main road where the mailboxes are but they were not delivering at the home any more. We canceled our subscription. If the paper wasn't stolen, the dogs would get it and tear it up, so I don't know what's going on around town any more. I miss it.

Mental P Mama said...

I have to read a paper in my hands. I get plenty of news online, but there's something about that paper...

Unknown said...

I agree...I must read a paper in the hands as well.

The good thing is, no news is sometimes the best thing. I love to live in ignorance. It is bliss after all.

Busy Bee Suz said...

If you are like me, you won't have a clue what is going on.
Luckily, my husband keeps up with the latest news....hopefully I won't be surprised with a hurricane (again) or anything like that by avoiding all news media b.s.
good luck.

Jeannelle said...

I love scanning the newspaper pages.....to see what catches my eye. Sometimes its not the big news, but something small that turns out to be meaningful. I would miss that if we stopped getting the paper.

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

I watch the news on TV. I cant still long enough to read the paper!

won said...

Now you will have a real excuse for not knowing what is going around you...to use your words!