Friday, July 31, 2009

Hostess Trying to Have the Mostess




It's Friday, so away we go with Friday's Freewrite and Friday Fragments.

1. A long time ago in a galaxy far away, we had some acquaintances over for dinner. It was a nice evening, but they never spoke to us again really after that night. A while later, my sibling and the acquaintance both relocated to the same town. The acquaintance was wonderful about helping my sister get settled, so as a thank-you my sister had the acquaintance over for dinner. You guessed it: they've never spoken again.

2. I have marvelous next door neighbors. Low maintenance, generous, kind. We've been neighbors for a decade and they've each been inside my house one time. I don't think I've ever been farther than their front doors. Funny the boundaries that keep us as good neighbors, I guess.

3. When we bought this house, we wanted certain features which would someday accommodate our kids' friends and youth group activities. Now that our daughter is in the youth group at church, I can think of many reasons why I've never hosted an activity here.

4. I'm thinking it was a man who built all these houses in the 70's and 80's with a bathroom right off the kitchen or living room. Some things really do need to remain private.

5. My nephew never once complained to us about being forced to give his bedroom to us while we visited. Thanks, J, for your willingness to sleep on the living room floor.

6. I am having two friends over today for lunch. In a stroke of hostessing brilliance, I made certain they both share a first name. This way there will be no awkward silences as all I have to do is say, "What do you think of that, Jill?" and suddenly two people will be speaking at once.

P.S. They're coming at noon and I have no idea what I'm serving for lunch... I wonder if this is somehow related to item #1??





13 comments:

Evansmom said...

Great FF! Good luck with your luncheon!

Unknown said...

You really should be a comedy writer even though I know these are factual and really your life...they are just too funny.

Lunch...Costco Chicken Salad on french bread with tomatoes and romaine. Run...now.

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

You never heard from them again? Did you poison them? Maybe they are just HIT AND RUN DINERS?

Hallie :)

claudia said...

I have the same relationship with my neighbors. In fact, I rarely get adult visitors. Maybe it's the throngs of teens and now twenties that go though at all hours of the day or night!

won said...

Oh heck...I know I have been missing around these parts and from responding to your email. I am shamefully thinking this thought as I click on over here. Then I read about acquaintance who came from dinner to never be heard from again!

It isn't me, I promise. It won't be me, I promise.

Talk to you soon...I hope?!

Busy Bee Suz said...

You crack me up. I hardly have neighbors so no one will 'never' speak to me again. :)
Have fun with Jills.

Mary Ellen said...

How odd about the one-night-stand diners! I wonder what's up with that?

I have a bathroom off my kitchen, and I have had that some thought about a million times - mostly when one of the boys' friends was visiting. I eventually learned to say, "I just washed the floor in there - why don't you use the upstairs bathroom?" I mean, Holy Cow, I'm preparing FOOD in here, for pete's sake!

Great Fragments!

Mental P Mama said...

What is up with those folks in #1??? I think you should go to Costco and get the chicken salad with the cranberries in it for lunch. That way I can have a vicarious plate full of the stuff. It's that good;) Happy weekend!

Unknown said...

OMGosh I am LMAO@this entire FF...I hope thats okay...but it was so funny...
after #1 are you sure you wanna do #6???

Mrs4444 said...

Maybe #1 talked to #2 and that's why they never ask to enter your house, haha. I think you're right about the boundary thing.

I'm a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants kinds of girl, too. I love your meal-planning style :)

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

You cook for guests??? I'm coming to your place!

I Am Woody said...

I'm with Noe Noe. And I promise to talk to you afterward;)

Betty W said...

We have the same kind of neighbors. Aren´t they the best?! :)
I hope your luncheon went well!