Friday, April 30, 2010

FF: School Tales

This week's progress report is brought to you by:

Mommy's Idea  and Friday Follow and The Girl Creative

Language Arts:

My students did a mostly admirable job on their visual arguments proving something about the economy and Detroit. I did hear the song, "They're Shutting Detroit Down," 12 too many times, but otherwise things were fine. That is if we forget that this is a second semester college-level English course and the following words were used in some presentations: holded, reception (instead of perception), and even gived. Seriously.

Math:

My son, the advanced math student knows better than to ask me for help. That may change now since he read a story problem to his strong math dad and they both puzzled over it while I, the math-impaired mother yelled out the correct answer. I have no idea where the answer came from, but I looked very, very impressive.

Lunch:
Before class, my students were discussing how annoying their friends are.  They asked me if I ever got annoyed with friends, so I shared a recent story with them. They commiserated and then got very serious when one girl said, "Dr. Caution, I wouldn't let her sit at my lunch table anymore if I were you."  As soon as I get a lunch table, I'll give it serious consideration.

Social Studies:
In my second grader's class last week, the teacher held up a map as she discussed map directions.  One of the girls, who wasn't paying one bit of attention, asked, "The Yukon!  What's that?"  Before the teacher could answer, a boy yelled out, "A vehicle, of course!"  He wasn't trying to be humorous.

Recess:
An acquaintance whom I hope will someday be a friend said she would like to start walking with me.  The problem?  She goes to the gym every day before work, so she is in fantabulous shape.  Walking with her might very well kill me. Besides that, I would miss walking with Checkered who buys me something at Starbucks while we walk (think dark cherry mocha!!) and I would miss walking with my friend Jill of the quilted pictures who says one word for every 25 I say, thus allowing me to monopolize the conversation.

Speech:
My phone has a wonderful feature which allows me to speak a Google search topic or speak a text message.  Then the phone transcribes it into a written format.  Unfortunately, it's not very accurate.  Yesterday I tried to tell my son that he is a man of few words, but the message was transcribed, "You love you a lot."

Driver's/Drivers' Ed:
Do you pull into your driveway or back into your driveway?  I try to avoid the reverse gear whenever possible, and that is making it a real challenge to get out of my driveway each morning. I wonder if I could put it in neutral and just roll out?


Show and Tell:
When did your blog friends cross over from living in your computer to living in your daily life and hearts? I realized that had happened to me when I saw this last week and thought of you-know-who.  Sorry, you-know-who. That it was a dumpster had nothing whatsoever to do with you being in my heart and mind.

28 comments:

T said...

Girl - you are now going to be expected to know math.....what where you thinking!

Love the lunch table story!

Mental P Mama said...

Awesome post! And how impressed I am with your math skillz;) And the Yukon, and the text. Sigh. It's all just too funny!

One Photo said...

GREAT post today! I loved all those stories of school, but especially the comment about banning annoying friends from the lunch table! Just great. More of these stories please!!

clew said...

Hey there, I'm visiting from Friday Frags. Loved the kid-wisdom :))

My best friend and I met on a message board - before blogs were as hot as they are now. I can't imagine life without her :)

Smart Money Mom said...

Hi Dropping in from Friday Follow! I already follow you! I love this post!

Rebekah Greiman said...

This is so randomly crazy. I found you through New Friend Friday-I'm below you. I just did a post about Detroit. My hubby is a musician and it takes us all over. Here's the link and a little blurb on the Guardian building downtown:
http://www.potholesandpantyhose.com/A/Tour_Archives/Entries/2010/3/16_Detroit__the_1_city_to_leave..html

MommyLovesStilettos said...

Happy Friday Follow!

Unknown said...

all of your snippets were awesome! Yukon, a vehicle...its to be expected, I guess... Happy Friday, my friend!

Jientje said...

I enjoyed all your stories again! Have a great weekend!

Letherton said...

lol on the social studies

From FF and wanted to say hi.
Take a minute an check my blog out if you haven't already.
I have lots of great giveaways going on.
Thanks :)

ethertonphotography.blogspot.com

extreme personal measures said...

Stopping by from The Girl Creative’s New Friend Friday. Already a follower. Great story.

Shelly - Tropical Mum said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog. I didn't realise I was in such esteemed company, Dr. Caution. I won't hold it against you. ;-)

Seriously, I am glad I found your blog.

Writing Without Periods! said...

Ugh, Math...but I loved English. So I want to know...ARE you gonna' let that girl sit with you at lunch? :-)
How funny.
Mary

Anonymous said...

Hurray for your maths skills.. as for the Yukon being a car.. oh dear!

Nancy C said...

Love the organization this week. If we walked together, we would pass out from all the yak yak yak. :)

I Am Woody said...

Best thing ever for the reverse impaired? Backup camera. Not that I would have any experience in being reverse impaired or anything.

PS - I really enjoyed our walk last night. What is tonight's topic?

Busy Bee Suz said...

You crack me up. I have been called a lot of things...but never a garbage can. :) But I understand...I see things out and about and they remind me of my blog friends!

I am horrid at math...my girls know better than to even ask me.

I have a yukon...I am as smart as a 2nd grader.

Unknown said...

I'm so proud of your math skills! and how funny is the name of that dumpster. Suz is a recycle queen so I think it's fitting. Just don't tell her I said that.

Kelli Nørgaard said...

awesome post!! But I have to admit, the YUKON reference was my fave!! Too funny!

Stacy said...

Visiting from Friday Frags. I am pretty evenly divided between backing in and pulling in. I will walk miles, though, to avoid paralel parking.

Betty W said...

I need a walking partner like you. I don´t mind if someone else monopolizes the conversation. :)
You school story's are too funny. Good thing you´re saving them here for all times....

mimbles said...

My new car has parking sensors that beep frantically at me every time I reverse out of my driveway even though there's nothing behind me. It was freaking me out until I finally worked out that what it was complaining about was the lavender bush beside the drive that was brushing against the front bumper as I turned onto the road.

claudia said...

I kind of like that texting thing with your phone...it could end up being a fun game to play.
I back into my driveway. At 6AM I have no business trying to back out into "traffic". There's usually not that much traffic on my street EXCEPT when I try to leave my driveway...backing in to park it affords me the luxury of seeing everything just before I pull in front of it when leave.(snicker, snicker)

Laura ~Peach~ said...

am STILL wondering WHO got my address... and you know the van I bought last year... and about a month after i had it I had driven across the country and back with out a scratch... WELL it STILL has the dented in bumper where I BACKED into my own CAR in MY OWN drive way... and... and... and... and...

Prairiemaid said...

Wonderful post...I laughed, 'til I cried. We are sisters when it comes to math and backing up! Sometimes I can tell the answer in Math...have no idea how I got the answer. Needless to say, I loathed Algebra!

I am sorry your mother worked at your school, therefore you were unable to escape the classroom and "skip-out" on occasion. Bummer! I understand the "good, the bad, and the ugly" of that situation. I worked in the school system where our oldest three graduated. Bless their hearts, they couldn't sneeze without me knowing it! LOL

Have a wonderful weekend, my friend!

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Following back from FF. Can't wait to read more from you.

Family-Friendly Product Reviews said...

Happy FF! Just stopping by to say hello!

Mrs4444 said...

I stopped being able to help Kendall with her math some time last year. She still asks, but I am powerless, and she figures it out on her own with me nodding.

My driveway is long and dark--it's too scary to back out of.

You have your doctorate? VERY cool.