Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Dear Walmart Cashier,

I learned a lot about business from you today.  I learned so much that I'm giving serious consideration to making some changes in the way I handle my own job.  So as of tomorrow, there will be a new and improved Dr. Caution in the classroom.  Here are the changes you've influenced.

~  Starting tomorrow, I will refuse to greet my students as they walk into class. Instead, when they smile at me, I'll glare back so that they know how I really feel about having to work.

~ I will sigh very loudly once class begins and before I do any work. It's best that the students understand how annoying it is for me to work with them.

~Once class is really underway, I shall begin to work as fast as I can so that the students can't get all their groceries on the belt quickly enough  can't get all their notes copied before I erase the board.  If they can't keep up with me, I'll roll my eyes at them.  That will surely motivate them to move more quickly.

~ I will be certain to refuse to tell them how to write the next assignment.  If they really want to know what they owe me, they can just read about it in the syllabus.

~I will make every effort to put their fragile essays in the same bag with a wet gallon of milk.

~And when it's time for me to assist them with gathering their belongings at the end of class, I will begin to thoroughly inspect my nails until they have completed my their task.  At that point, my nail inspection will be finished.

Thank-you, Ms. Cashier, for helping me to reevaluate my own job performance.  I am hopeful that if Walmart's success is any indication, I will be the wealthiest part-time teacher in town by tomorrow night.  Of course when that happens, I'll be able to shop at specialty food stores. 

Karma's crazy like that sometimes.

Sincerely,
Your 8:30 customer who was the ONLY customer in your lane



19 comments:

Tiffany said...

Oh crap! What is it with cashiers and customer service personnel today? I do not look forward to going to Walmart for that very reason. Most of the people they employ have the same attitude and that goes for most cities across America.
I shop at Publix which is a grocery store based in the southeast. I went to a different one than I usually shop at and the staff was amazing! They greeted you with a smile, were very helpful and the cashier was soo nice! She carried on a conversation with me and the bag girl was so pleasant. I was in supermarket heaven~!!

Matty said...

You really need to send this, verbatim, to Walmart corporate headquarters. Really.

Cranberry Morning said...

After I finished laughing, I'll have to say, I agree with Matty. Make sure you have the name of the cashier. I'm sure that WalMart didn't get where it is today by having bad personnel. They need to get rid of her. (so to speak.) If no one complains, they'll have no way of knowing.

Busy Bee Suz said...

Oh my gosh..what is it with some people????
I imagine you were LIVID!!!
I do hope that her nails looked good at least.

Mental P Mama said...

Sigh. I actually asked a Walmart cashier once if she needed me to get someone to come help her...she was such a mess. And all the mom and pop's keep going under....

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

I agree with Matty!
<><

joanne said...

rough way to start the day...imagine being her child??

One Photo said...

I know Walmart is supposedly cheaper to shot at but I really don't like shopping there or anything about the place so I don't go.

I love how you compared this experience to your own job, but unlike that awful cashier I know you would never treat a student or a grocery shopper that way :-)

mom x 2 said...

Haha! Funny but unfortunately so true!

claudia said...

I work in retail...it is not that hard to be nice toour customers. Not. At. All! In fact, the nicer I can be the faster the day goes by and I come home in a good mood. If I had to work with a person like that, I don't know what I would do. Well, besides apologise to my customers all day!
Sorry you had to put that poor girl through so much to earn her wages!

Eat To Live said...

I really think you should send this to Walmart.

I am a new follower from Welcome Wednesday. I would appreciate it if you could stop over and follow me back.

I am giving a Halloween Apron away to one of my followers 10/5

Unknown said...

Oh that is crazy! I totally agree and understand. Sorry you had to go through her lane...I agree...It is so lame and annoying! Thank you for following me and your sweet visit!
Following you back.
Frenchy

betty said...

she should be grateful she has a job in this day and age; awful customer service indeed!! and you know if she was treated like that when she was checking out, she wouldn't have been happy at all

betty

Lawyer Mom said...

Good grief. I hope you complained.

It's hard to find a silver lining in this recession, but if there is one, it is that service has greatly improved.

I think it's called "job gratitude."

That cashier needed to go . . . yesterday.

Cyndy Bush said...

I agree - send it to Walmart! You can also tell them that's why I shop at Target.

I Am Woody said...

If you are going to be like the Wal-Mart cashiers around here, you must avoided bathing for several days at a time so you can get that lovely sheen in your hair. You must wear the rattiest clothing in your closet. Best if it has a few burn holes and stains on it. And you might want to consider pulling a tooth or two.

I Am Woody said...

And 'round these parts, Target isn't any better!

Inspiring You To Save! said...

Visiting from the Blog Hops! I love your site. I can't wait to get to know you better. Stop by when you get the chance. I have a Meet Me Monday blog hop and I would love if you could join in.

http://www.inspiringyou2save.com

studentmom said...

I am laughing my behind off!! I must tell you that I've been working at Wal-Mart for 10 years, and that seems to be a problem everywhere. Management has seemed to turn a blind eye to any situation that might make them uncomfortable. Wal-Mart as a corporation has put the 'almighty dollar' as a priority instead of customer and associate appreciation. I wouldn't blame you if you never stepped foot in another one. I also agree with the previous post about working in retail. The day goes much faster if you just smile and are curteous. You also feel so much better at the end of the day. I must say that not all Wal-Mart associates are this way, but then again, all it takes is one bad seed to ruin it for the whole bunch. Wish you happier future shopping!