Monday, April 11, 2011

Plumbed

I spend a lot of time thinking about toilets. I think about all those generations of people who had to brave blizzards, or snakes, or odors just to go. I think about all those families suffocating in tenements with more than fifty people sharing one broken toilet. I think about women carrying and emptying chamber pots - sometimes on the unsuspecting heads of people in the street below. I think about the masses moving westward with only an empty prairie as a sewer. And I think about all my intimate encounters with IBS as Checkered has sped through the hills of West Virginia or Colorado or Kentucky while I prayed for just one open rest stop.

Trust me, there is nothing that makes me quite as happy as my own indoor toilet.


What overlooked elements of your life make you happy today?



12 comments:

Unknown said...

You know what...ain't that the truth. And thanks for keepin' it real. :)

Busy Bee Suz said...

I agree...there is nothing like your own pot.

Checkered.loves.Caution said...

I hope you can appreciate how hard I'm working at not throwing a pun out there today! My tongue (or fingers in this case) are bleeding.

Betty W said...

Overlooked is right. Makes me very happy! :)

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

I am kinda fond of our throne too!
<><

joanne said...

as a fellow IBS sufferer I can so relate...it is my favorite appliance? accessory? ..;j

Cyndy Bush said...

I am odd in that I think about things like this a lot. Even with the astronomical prices of gas, I think of how lucky we are to have cars. And cameras....imagine life if we couldn't capture memories!
And after being without a clothes dryer for over a year, I am SO happy to have one now!

Unknown said...

I love my throne...I like picking out new seats on occasion too.

Mostly I thank God for running water, and bottled water.

Kristin - The Goat said...

I went to a real estate auction in Michigan in 2003 and the agent walking us through the house kept pointing out places where a bathroom could be built in the house. I finally had to ask - What happened to the bathrooms??? The old woman who had lived there since her birth in the early 1900s had never used a bathroom - only the outhouse. She said that it was only plumbed for indoor water in the 1990s.

I must have my bathrooms. I must. I think about it, too.

betty said...

I so totally agree with you; I can go small in a house, less space, etc, but if there is more than one of us living here, I can't compromise on only one bathroom and only one toilet. It just doesn't seem right, LOL.

I am also very thankful for running water. I can't imagine hauling water in every single day. And thank God it is hot water here. Boiling it doesn't sound easy either.

I'm so thankful I live now; I never would have made it as a homesteading woman

betty

imbeingheldhostage said...

Overlooked? What haven't I overlooked? I'm thinking differently about toilets now, so thank you for that!
I'm also loving your birdy template. Please tell me you just put it up and it hasn't been THAT long since I came by :-/

QueenScarlett said...

A-freakin'-MEN! I am so so grateful!

Thought you might like to join in on a Friday carnival here. Hope to see you! Cheers!