Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Indulging in Memory

My mother-in-law made fantastic mashed potatoes.  I mean, they were so delicious that there were times the serving bowl was just about empty before it got to me.   I used to be puzzled about why hers were so good and mine weren't.  Peel, chop, boil, mash.  How hard can that be?

Then one day she didn't shoo me out of the kitchen quickly enough and I learned the secret.  While I used skim milk in my potatoes, she used real cream.  While I used a thin slice of butter, she used entire sticks.  While I may have occasionally added a small dollop of fat free sour cream, she used several ounces of the real stuff.  Oh, those potatoes were lovely!

She has now been gone longer from this life than seems possible. 

My boys have been raising money for the local Relay for Life.  In a few days, we will go over to the event and we'll cheer for the survivors as they walk around the track, and light a luminary in memory of Grandma Judy, and then I think we'll come home and make some mashed potatoes her way.  

Isn't it interesting how such seemingly insignificant things can mean so much years later?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry for your loss (if it's a recent one). I like the way seemingly insignificant events take on a deeper meaning later on - reminding us that everything is interconnected and significant in some way or other.

Busy Bee Suz said...

I imagine she is smiling down that you will follow the tradition of her REAL mashed potatoes. Bless your family for participating in such a wonderful event.

Laura~peach~ said...

she makes them like I do... or I make them like she does something like that... and yes... HUGE difference kinda like real taters versus box flakes...
and you made me giggle... 1st thought was oh she wants to sit on papas lap LMAO !
Remember last year or so when you asked about how to cook ribs... I did not know how then but since... OH MY WORD i have the secret... will share it with you... love ya. :)

Betty W said...

What a great way to remember your mom by. She would be proud and happy. And I´m sure your kids will love eating it. :)

Checkered.loves.Caution said...

Great! Now my eyes are red.

I Am Woody said...

My stomach is growling now:)

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

Thank goodness she shared that recipe with you! So nice she let you in on the secret. It's nice that you all can remember her fondly and eat great potatoes! :) It's a wonderful cause you're supporting!

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Mrs4444 said...

Absolutely. I'm glad she shared it with you. My own MIL let me watch (and take notes) as she made pasties one year. Now, mine are the BEST (even she believes so!) Sweet.