Monday, July 14, 2008

He Gets It From His Mom



I am a craft.

A souvenir from Cub Scout camp.

Crafted from Plaster of Paris.

Created by an 8 year old who:
  • dislikes crafts
  • would rather be out setting bb gun records on the range
  • has just a few sensory issues with the way things feel.
When the boy brought me to his home, the family was flumoxed.  They couldn't decipher my identify.
Was I an animal by-product? 
Was I a map?
The mother of the family was pretty sure I was an amoeba.

BUT I AM NONE OF THOSE THINGS !! *sob*

I am a footprint.  A proud record of this boy's physical presence at this point in history.

But while the first boys in the craft line took their shoes off to capture the magic of their toes and arches, the boy who made me opted to create me with his shoe on.

Now I live outside.  Lonely.  Ignored.  Unappreciated.

I am a craft.

7 comments:

Grandma Tillie's Bakery said...

Hey--I kind of like it! Just the fact that he is the only one that left his shoe on for the craft, shows that he is unique, which is wonderful in my book.

All it needs to make it complete are a couple of eyes drawn in with a sharpie. See the horizontal mouth in the middle? And the nose above that?

If it was mine, I would then be able to name it Self Portrait.

Big Hair Envy said...

I thought it was a plaster of paris rendition of a footprint he found. Big Foot, maybe? heehee!

Mental P Mama said...

I thought it was a paramecium. That is priceless.

As Cape Cod Turns said...

I guessed it was a foot print before you said anything. That's probably what I learned with my teaching degree, though.

Jeannelle said...

But, its a craft whose image now graces a blog post about itself.....that's extremely special!

Anonymous said...

Awww. Bet you'd make a great clay pigeon!

My Two Army Brats said...

My oldest son would not dream of taking off his shoe and sticking his foot into anything sticky/gooey/wet/slimy! He too would be a shoe print making kid!

Sensory issues are fun like that! When my son's teacher hunted the classroom for the christmas gift he made by placing his hands in wet glue and making hand prints then covering them with glitter I told her that there is no way he did that. She insisted, even after he told her he didn't do it. She looked and looked. You'd think they'd believe that a mom who knows her SI kid would know that we have not made it that far in therapy!! lOl

Yay for shoe imprints!