Friday, May 20, 2011

FF: To the Moon and Back

Did you ever have one of those weeks where you could manage just one partial thought at a time?  Okay, that makes me feel that I’m among friends.  Here’s what I mean:
  • Any Scrivener users out there?  I don’t know that I’m IT literate enough to get my money’s worth out, but so far - so good.  It’s nice to see chapters lined up so neatly in the binder.
  • I still love Loretta Lynn’s Van Lear Rose cd. 
  • My daughter has a new boyfriend.  We like him. She likes him.  Our dog LOVES him.  Seriously enthralled.  The last time the boyfriend came over, the dog took her foreleg and wrapped it around the boy’s leg to pull him closer.  I have never seen her do that before.  I suppose when the inevitable break-up comes, I will have to console my daughter and my dog.
  • BEST medical explanation ever: ovaries your age are like someone who has submitted the paperwork for retirement.  Some days there are four hour lunches, some days she won’t even bother to go to work, and then some days she gets worried about her legacy and she’ll decide to work overtime.
  • I really do not remember there being so much drama in my high school as exists in my daughter’s school.  Do you suppose it’s the constant ability to text and IM and those other immediate access means that are to blame?
  • My husband strongly suggested to our 7th grade son that he collect all the hoodies he has loaned to some very pretty girls.  It took him two arms to carry the clothing home.  
  • Apparently, the more perfume the hoodies arrive home wearing, the better.
  • My daughter’s choir is working on music from the 60’s.  I can so clearly remember being in the basement of our home and listening to Age of Aquarius on a transistor radio.  
  • Why is it so hard for a boy to admit he punched his brother - especially when the brother is crying and holding a very blood-shot eye?  No, I'm just not buying the explanation that the younger brother punched himself in the eye. Then again, stranger things have happened.  
  • And finally, drove my those same two youngest boys to school this morning and was appalled at someone's breath.  I gave a lengthy lecture on the evils of not brushing and pushed breath mints their direction as they remained mute.  When we got to the school, my 5th grader said, "Just so you feel better: I DID brush this morning, but I also was farting all the way to school." -  I'm pretty sure that someday his wife will blame this type of behavior on me.
Now to improve my mood, I'm going to see the most gracious hostess in town - or at least in the Midwest.
Mommy's Idea

17 comments:

Laura~peach~ said...

well am glad he did not try to place the breath mint....
bwhahahahahah tooo funny.

Jeff Howe said...

Haven't you ever farted all the way to school? ;-) lol

Anonymous said...

Oh goodness... this is HILARIOUS! So funny I had to use caps!

Unknown said...

so much de je vous in this post, and I'm sure I spelled that wrong!

However I did brush this morning, and I'm not telling anyone if I farted because I'm retired, live alone, and I can do that if I want.

Thank you for the morning laugh!

Mel Fraase said...

I'm giggling and my kids think I'm weird.

I hope your dog will take the inevitable breakup well. :)

Busy Bee Suz said...

Your family provides an endless amount of joy for the rest of us...and I am sure for YOU too.
Your ovaries might be related to my ovaries.

mommytoalot said...

You totally made me laugh out loud. LOVE this post.
.and Drama yes..omg..i only have one boy in high school..(the other graduated two years ago) Just at the dance alone there was much going down.
LOL @ farting all the way to school.) boys are fun

Cranberry Morning said...

LOVED this post. Ah yes, life. Ain't it fun! LOL That last entry made me laugh aloud. I cannot tell you how obsessed my little grandsons are with the sounds they can emit from the nether regions of their bodies.

Nancy said...

Umm, I have no idea what Scrivener is, so your week was better than mine by default! :)

Bill Lisleman said...

Watch that boyfriend. He might be slipping the dog treats.
I think your 7th grade son knows what I'm talking about.
Great fragments.

Ellen aka Ellie said...

I went on a mission trip with HS kids last summer, and keeping my comment focused I will say I admired the friendship of two girls very much. I was sad to see via facebook they aren't besties any more. Drama? When I stupidly inquired it was more than an hour of 90210 used to produce.

Makes me so sad for them. Yes, I think tech stuff has a lot to do with it, formspring and texting were mentioned.

We're not in the Age of Aquarius any more...

Kristin - The Goat said...

You made me laugh so hard with the last bit that I've completely forgotten those that went first!

The new bf may just be hiding bacon in his pant leg...I'm just sayin'

Oh, I do believe that fb, IM, texting, twitter - those would have been the death of me in school. I was forever putting my foot in my mouth, but I only had in person and the phone to use.

Cyndy Bush said...

Punched himself in the eye? Now that's a good one.
I feel so sorry for the dog when the inevitable breakup happens. I hope you sit on the couch with her and watch chick flicks. The dog, that is.

Kelli Nørgaard said...

I have to say...
the OVARY COMMENT wins the prize in my book!!
Have a good weekend!

Mrs4444 said...

What?! You're coming over? Why the heck didn't you tell me sooner?!

Omg...that breath story is hilarious. Agh....life with boys!

betty said...

LOL about the ovary; that is a great explanation, really!! glad all like your daughter's new boyfriend; that does help I do believe! And I think you do have a point there; the drama was always there, it just took us longer to spread it around and get to the bottom of it in our day and age, now they can do it almost instantly as it continues to happen.

enjoy the rest of your weekend

betty

Grandma Tillie's Bakery said...

Your breath/fart story confirmed in my mind once and for all that men are just little boys in big, smelly bodies. And an FYI--I don't blame this behavior on my husband's mother. I blame his grandmother. The one that always told her sweet little buggie-boo that it is much better to let them out than to keep them in. And proceeded to let them out all through dinner.