Monday, August 18, 2008

Fine. I Might Have a Quirk or 7: #2

#2: I once went to a student's home for dinner and survived.

English as a Second Language (ESL) students are among the grandest on Earth.  In all my years of teaching, I have met a variety of students.  Some are mean and yucky, but some are simply marvelous.  The ESL students were among my favorites and during the years I taught ESL, I received several invites to meals in their homes.  To refuse would have been the harshest of insults. 

I have been the guest of honor many times in my students' homes, but the most memorable was my experience in a Cambodian home in Bowling Green, Kentucky.

I had taught two children from the same family and some of their cousins, as well, that year and truly loved them. It was my first ESL job and I learned that there was much more to good teaching than simply going over vocabulary and syntax.  My students didn't know how to dress for the weather (they didn't even have winter clothing), they didn't know how to eat the food served in the school lunchroom, they didn't know how to get help in a medical emergency.  It became my personal mission that year to get my students over all those hurdles and more.

So when the invitation to dinner arrived, my supervisor gave her blessing, and I headed over to the students' home one Sunday.  The family graciously welcomed me.  I was seated alone at the table while my translator student sat with the men on the floor:  all watching my every move.  We "talked" for quite a while before the food was brought out by three generations of women.  It was placed before me.  At some point I understood that I alone would be eating while the extended family would all watch.

Whoa.

I ate many of the same foods the students had brought as gifts to me during the year.  There were egg rolls and other recognizable treats.  Then the main course was brought out:  it was some kind of soup.  By that point my irritable bowel stomach was rolling and roiling and protesting but I knew I had to eat the soup. My translator-student looked absolutely stricken when the soup arrived. 

I continued to pray, asking the Lord to allow me to be gracious to my hosts. 

And I ate every drop. A slurp from the bowl. A smile for the men sitting and watching me. Another slurp. A smile for the women peeking around the kitchen door. Another slurp...another smile.


As we eventually walked from the house, my student-translator explained that the soup had taken many, many hours to prepare.  The day before my feast, the entire family had gone to the public park.  There, they dug and hunted and found hundreds of snails.  The snails were brought home and became my soup.

In later years I would enjoy Mexican, Puerto Rican, Lebanese, Chinese, Indian, and so many other meals courtesy of my beloved students.  And in almost every situation, I alone ate while the families watched.  I am just now beginning to understand what an honor those meals were.

11 comments:

As Cape Cod Turns said...

Did that soup stay down after you found out what was in it? That is very sweet that they invite you to dinner and make you eat alone. Hello, pressure?!
Great way to get into the tag! I've got to get my kids back to school so I can blog more often!

Mental P Mama said...

You are one brave woman. I could not have done it. At all.

Anonymous said...

What an honor for you. And what a wonderful teacher and inspiration you must be in order to garner these invitations.

Lovely story.

Wonderful World of Weiners said...

If getting MOOBS is your biggest fear for your boys, you've got it made!!

Hallie :)

Keeper Of All Things said...

OH no Snails?!!
You must have really been a great teacher to eat those

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you said the prayer for strength. After hearing the time and love that went into the meal, I think it should have tasted like the best soup ever!
That is such a good story.
Pam

Pleasing Procrasinator said...

I love different cuisines but I like to choose what I am having. It is a great honor and I too would probably eat regardless as not to offend anyone.

Big Hair Envy said...

You are one brave soul!

I think you should petition the travel channel for your own television show. I would definitely watch!

dlyn said...

A precious story! I would be in big trouble in so many situations like that because of not being able to abide fish. It is the main protein source for so much of the world and try as I might, I can't get it past my lips. Anyway - found your lovely blog from your comment on Mental Mama's - I will definitely be back!

Laura ~Peach~ said...

wicked!!!!!!
did it taste good??? all those different foods so cool!
Nothing like eating uunder pressure!
HUGS Laura

Anonymous said...

Wonderful memories! That would be cool if my ESL students did that, but probably they will bring food on the last day. Wonder what they want ME to fix? I agree with your wondering (on your comments re: my blog on my sis Mrs.4444's site) why you don't teach ESL again! Do give it some thought. :)