Friday, October 3, 2008

Home Away From Home

My new friend, Ms. Living on the Spit, posted yesterday about a local motel in her neighborhood, and that made me think about one in our area. This motel lives in the middle of a commercial strip.






We used to laugh about the am/fm feature, but always explained to our kids that this was on old building and we were sure the owners were holding out for a better real estate deal. Then we realized that the sign stays freshly painted, so the am/fm feature must still be a big deal.

One of our boys used to ask to stay at the War-Del. We tried to explain that maybe it wasn't intended for over-night guests. That explanation went a little over his head. We explained that we were only a handful of miles from our own house. We explained that we had a pool; the War-Del did not. We explained it looked a bit yucky.

Then our boy pointed out the one feature that our family loves. The War-Del is right next door to :


Very good point, son. I'll make a reservation.

12 comments:

Laura ~Peach~ said...

we dont have tim hortons here in the south... I have heard it is good though! we have several of those hotel/motels or as mike calls them notell motel!
Ack. but they serve a purpose I suppose.

Mental P Mama said...

Ewww. Well, except for the Tim Horton's place;)

Unknown said...

Ah, I haven't had Tim Horton's in forever!!! I would sleep in a card board box to get some of those. You get a great job and that's exactly what I was talking about. These old signs need to be documented. They are halarious! I liked your explanation to your little one's as well...wink,wink...have a great weekend.

Big Hair Envy said...

Hotel Cost $15.00 per hour (heehee)
Gas to Get There $10.00
Tim Horton's withing walking distance...Priceless :)

Big Hair Envy said...

*within*

AAHHGGG!

EmmaP said...

hahaha! too funny! I think I would've said something like "we'll go to Tim Hortons, and then have an indoor campout! We'll make tents in the middle of the living room!"

Love your explanation about the overnight guests! lol!

Thanks for visiting my place on your layonver from BATW!

Grandma Tillie's Bakery said...

I've never heard of Tim Horton's but it sounds good! The motel is something I would give a WIDE berth though--yuckers.

Brian and Staci said...

Hi there! Staci from Oklahoma here just stopping in to say thanks for visiting my blog on my BATW spotlight day! Don't believe we have Tim Horton's here in OK??? Thanks so much for commenting...it's so nice putting faces to all these names I see!!! Hope you have a great weekend!

Keeper Of All Things said...

I always ask if there is AM and FM . Of not I refuse to stay!!! But I'm kinda stuck up that way.

Anonymous said...

Ok, wait, I've been to your state many times. Aren't MANY things next to Tim's? I hardly think that argument flies ;) although I love their maple donuts.

I think the sign rocks. I bet they paint it because it's historic, and as you said, to attract those "day guests" who might just want AM/FM radio during their "stay!"

Love this post. LOVE SIGNS!

Anonymous said...

You obviously have your priorities straight! :)

Anonymous said...

btw, we call those kind of hotels "hot pillow joints."