Friday, October 22, 2010

FF: Kudos and Raspberries

Kudos to me for keeping my track record 100% in convincing myself that I do NOT need to shower to just run into to a grocery store, and then seeing acquaintances there who apparently did not listen to that same inner voice.

Kudos to teachers who intentionally do NOT assign major homework or projects to be done over the week-end and instead tell students of all ages: get outside this week-end, spend time with family and friends, and come back on Monday ready to learn.

Kudos to teachers who do NOT believe in assigning group projects.  I don't care how it's set up, there will always be a weak team member. And don't tell me this is how the business world works.  Oops.  Sorry. This is turning into a raspberry!

Kudos to Kris who is, perhaps, the grandest baker and cook of them all and whose Halibut recipe turned me into a successful fish cook. She is the face of Alaska for me, and I reallyreallyreallyreally hope I can meet her IRL some day.  Until then, we'll remortage the house and eat some more Halibut.

Kudos to our firefighter friend who made repeated trips into a burning home to rescue some belongings of a family whose house was a total loss.  The love of Christ is so apparent in this man.

Raspberries to drivers who think they will "help" my brand-new driver daughter along in her skills, speed, and confidence by tailgating her and swerving out of their lanes to see around her car.

Raspberries to people who can NOT hear anything anyone else has said, and I do NOT mean because of a hearing loss.

Raspberries to my dryer who is flirting with a very serious electrical breakdown.

We need to finish on a positive note, so .... kudos to family dynamics that make us smile:
this morning's example was our 8 year old boy who said just as he left for school,
"Oh, I can't leave until I say good-bye!"
I smiled and held out my arms, but the boy turned the other way and walked toward the dog. 


Now, kudos to these gracious hosts:
Mommy's Idea

11 comments:

As Cape Cod Turns said...

Wouldn't it be great if more teachers told the kids to get outside and play for the weekend?!!!

Yay for your friend the firefighter!

And your dog seems to be the lucky one in the family :)

Now get outside and play!

Kristin - The Goat said...

Wow, a firefighter who goes in for belongings. That's something for sure.

I really need to become a fish cook. I always ask my husband to make it but that recipe seems easy enough. Thanks!

To those of us who do have the non hearing loss, can't hear a word what anyone else says, let's talk about me some more - I think you're right. Now let's get back to my story!

Kristin - The Goat

Mental P Mama said...

Oh I love those teachers! ANd those drivers? Notsomuch.

Happy weekend to the Family O' Caution!

Cranberry Morning said...

What a fun post! I especially loved that last entry re. the dog. LOL

Matty said...

I remember when my youngest daughter was a new driver. She would be diddly bopping down the road, and other drivers would pass us, IN A NO PASSING ZONE.

God bless that firefighter.

And well, now you know where you stand at home. LOL

I Am Woody said...

I always HATED group projects. I remember several in college that I did the entire project. BY. MYSELF. I never did get a thank you from any of the group members for the A I provided them.

betty said...

love that teacher who assigns no homework on the weekend!! and your last kudo with your son and the dog made me smile :)

enjoy the weekend

betty

One Photo said...

The last one, that is the winner! Your dog at least is loved! All kudos indeed to the firefighter friend - he and his kind are amazing people indeed.

Anonymous said...

I wish there were a law saying that all teachers should not give homework over the weekend.

Love that shirt in your previous post too!

Kelli Nørgaard said...

I love the whole list but #1 is my fave..... I feel the same way about walking Albert! No need to get all cute! lol

Mrs4444 said...

I do assign group projects, but the work is always doable, and I've created a Group Member Evaluation Sheet that all students complete for each of their group members. It's very specific and speaks to their levels of helping, attitude, and specific contributions. The accountability seems to have increased their performances.

And we gave a ton of homework on Thursday and Friday. However, we plan to go very easy on them this week (state testing). I like this idea for next weekend, though :)