Thursday, January 27, 2011

Vetoed!

Some time after his dad stumbled toward a very early shower, this guy climbed into his dad's spot in bed. He pulled the quilts up high. Turned the pillows a few times to get them just right. Picked up the remote and changed the t.v. channel away from the news and to Cartoon Network. Then because he is quite verbally gifted, he began a vivid description of how sick he was. A head filled with knives piercing his skull. A throat burning with lava. Aches and pains so overwhelming for a newly-turned eleven year old.

At first I thought it was sweet that he knew I would comfort him. Afterall, is there any worse feeling than a terrible cold during the first few hours of the morning?

And when his still innocent voice asked, "Mommy, am I staying home from school today," I thought about his head and throat. I thought about how horrid he felt. I thought about how fortunate I am to work only part-time for days such as this.
But right before I could melt, he discreetly wiped his nose on his father's pillow.

He has now been safely delivered to school.

4 comments:

Laura~peach~ said...

I AM SORRY... but I am laughing ... HARD!

I Am Woody said...

LMAO!

Busy Bee Suz said...

This is why our washers come with a HOT water mode.
Bless his sick little heart....

Julie said...

I am still giggling about that. You can be so funny. I hope he's feeling better soon and that you got the pillow case washed before daddy came to bed.
Take care and have a blessed evening.