Friday, August 29, 2008

Don't Even Listen to Us, Part 3

We really stand by our word.  You know that already.  If we say it, we maybe, kinda, sorta mean it.  And that's final -- sometimes.

Last Saturday we went to have our family picture taken for the church directory.  We said we would NOT purchase any pictures.  So not true.

Then our kids wanted to go to PetSmart and "just look" and we knew there were no dogs there we wanted, so we said, "No way, no how."  Of course, we were there right away.  BUT we did not adopt the dog Checkered loved.  We congratulated ourselves on our maturity.

Our daughter turned on the great sorrow as we left PetSmart.  She pouted a bit.  She poured on the guilt.  What about the Big City Humane Society?  Huh??? Huh?? What about that Lab mix there??  Well??

We said, "We don't want a city dog with perhaps a very rough history."

We said, "It's a 45 minute drive.  Surely if we wait, there will be a dog locally."

We said, "We do NOT want a dog as large as the one you've chosen."

And we immediately got into the van and drove into the big city and adopted the very same dog.

Meet Pepper:
She was advertised as a Lab mix.  Not necessarily true.
She was advertised as large.  She weighs 8 pounds.
She was advertised as 8-10 weeks.  She is 12 weeks.
She was advertised as perfectly healthy.  She is not.
But this little puppy now owns us.  She has had good vet care and is starting to regain some energy and, we hope, weight.  Our neighbors have proclaimed her docile and good natured.  Our vet says that she will recover quickly and completely and then he hugged me because he thinks we really got the right dog this time.
No, we don't always mean what we say.  And that's a lucky thing for us.
Welcome home, Pepper!

17 comments:

Karen said...

Good for you! I'm a firm believer that every family should have a dog. Or five.

Mental P Mama said...

{{{{Pepper}}}} I love her!

Pleasing Procrasinator said...

Congratulations on your new addition, Pepper.
I have a lab mix, just about the same markings and all. She is a little over 2yrs. old and she weighs about 57-65lbs. Every time she eats people food she ends up sick.

Renaissance Woman said...

Yeah!!!! I'm so happy that you found Pepper and he found you. You will have so much joy and excitment.

Anonymous said...

Ahhh, pepper is adorable !!
Good Luck !!

#1

Laura ~Peach~ said...

awwwwww adorable pepper!

Unknown said...

PRECIOUS! You know in your heart what is right for your family and Pepper is extremely lucky you found her!

Grandma Tillie's Bakery said...

Oh how sweet! I think your vet is right--you needed a puppy all along so you could bring it up your way instead of trying to fix all of the problems from other people.

Laura ~Peach~ said...

i do hope that playing me is a good thing... but down here in the south is not... sigh.

Anonymous said...

I think I am in love with Pepper! What a cutie.

Laura ~Peach~ said...

yeah the changes have all been wonderful (except the teen ones) and yeah the kids play me and yeah I know it but I love to deny it at times... I so dont want them to have to go through hard crap that I did but I guess it is inevetable because for whatever reason I got kids as hard headed (maybe more hard headed) than me... God help em cause there is times I can't

Anonymous said...

Pepper is a cutie. So is the pictures.
I wanted to tell you I have an award for you at my site.
I always enjoy your site and appreciate your visits to mine.
Thanks,
Pam

Jan said...

Pepper is a little doll baby! I think you are very fortunate to find each other.

joanne said...

Oh hello Pepper...looks like you found a great new home to live in ;)

Anonymous said...

Cute kid. Cute dog. I give up on you, you will never learn, but I hope this is THE DOG! haha

I made your button for you. Well, I am A BUTTON. If it isn't what you want that's fine too...

Jeannelle said...

Pepper is adorable! May all go well this time.....may Pepper be a good fit for your family!

Jeannelle said...

Pepper is adorable! May all go well this time.....may Pepper be a good fit for your family!