Thursday, October 30, 2008

Maybe You Should Cook

I double-dipped on Saturday night. We were a family cleanly divided between Halloween parties. Yes, I do know that I should have said we were divided among parties since there were actually three parties that night, but do you really care?? Checkered was going to a party given by the absolute master of party planning, the Majestic Domestic. That, in itself put some pressure on me because she is a quick wit and does not suffer fools gladly. Then, I was told to bring some food. So I thought and thought for three weeks about what I should bring. But by the day of the party, I still didn't have any good ideas because I knew what the Majestic Domestic would serve would be beautiful, perfect, and popular. Anything I could send wouldn't work. Period.

So shortly before that party began, I went to allrecipes.com and used their ingredient search. My first result told me that I shouldn't bother them anymore until I went grocery shopping. Then I looked around again and realized I did have cherry pie filling, crushed pineapple, and yellow cake mix in the house. That, in itself, is a veritable dump cake bonanza.

Ninety minutes later, my 30 minute cake was rock hard to the touch and slightly soggy in the middle. Checkered and the two oldest kids were already late for their party, but I couldn't send a failed recipe to the Majestic Domestic's party. The younger two kids and I were late for our other party, so there was no time to make anything else. This faux cake was actually a cobbler in a bundt cake. There was no way it could be inverted onto a serving platter. How would I know if it was done?

Thinking quickly, I dipped a spoon into the mess and sampled. It was okay! It would attend the party after all. Then I remembered that I had forgotten to really TASTE the cake, so I dipped the spoon in again. And that is when Checkered came to life with his accurate indictment of the double-dip -- and for a public gathering, no less!!

I acted embarrassed.  How silly of me to double-dip!  But all the while I was thinking, "Checkered, if you only knew ... "

12 comments:

Unknown said...

That is too cute. I love the way you can laugh at yourself and the situations your life presents. I would have taken it too.

You are one awesome lady.

Marlene

Pancake said...

SHHHHHHHH no one will ever know!

Betty said...

They have ingredient searches at allrecipes.com? Thanks for telling me that. Next time I need to whip up something quick I´ll be looking there.
I´m sure the cake was good. Would have loved to see a pic of it, though...

Mental P Mama said...

How funny is that? Now I want to go make a dump cake.

Julie said...

All I have to say is it is your kitchen and you are allowed to do whatever you want!!!

That is so funny!

Dr.John said...

A dump cake. A cross between a bundt cake and an upside down cake. I need to know things like that.

Laura ~Peach~ said...

LOL DROOL It sounds good! LOL

Laura ~Peach~ said...

you have blog bling at my place :)

Big Hair Envy said...

My policy on double-dipping is, "Don't ask. Don't tell."

Well, it's more like "Don't tell, and they'll never know..."

Anonymous said...

Here's a recipe that maybe the perfect cook hasn't heard of -- and it's foolproof (no slight intended).

Mix an angel food cake with a 20 oz. can of crushed pineapple (in own juice)undrained. Stir 100 strokes.

Put in 9x13 pan. Bake 30 min. at 350 degrees. It will collapse a little as it cools, but it is wonderful just like that or with fruit over it. I use a couple tablespoons of sugar-free cherry pie filling over the top of each piece with light whipped topping. It's great and sooooo easy.

Grandma Tillie's Bakery said...

Everybody thinks I just enjoy working with all the food for potlucks and get togethers at church. In reality I am scoping out which dish everyone brings and then warning my family members in secret about which ones to stay away from (suspected double dippers fall into that category)

LOL!

(oh come on now--you know I'm kidding)

Tracy P. said...

You sent it, didn't you?

Thanks for stopping by today with BATW. I promise to warn potential sons-in-law about my daughter's way with words. How soon I warn them will depend upon how much I like them. ;-)