Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Wednesday's Wisdom

Checkered and I survived our first high school orientation for our daughter. On the ride to the high school, we were commiserating over our shock at how quickly the years are moving. So it was two slightly sad parents who sat through the presentations that night.

Later, during our tour of our girl's new school, I ran into an acquaintance whose daughter graduated last year.

I asked how she (the mother) was doing, and when she said, "I choose to be excited," I was puzzled.

She went on to tell me of her daughter's graduation and how other mothers were crying and lamenting the passing years. The new grads were full of excitement, anxiety, and a little guilt about what the mothers were saying. That was when my acquaintance decided to see these changes through her daughter's eyes. And what she saw was excitement, limitless possibilities, and a desire for a mom who wasn't crying.

Now that girl is headed to Russia for the summer. Is her mom nervous? Is her mom aware of the potential troubles? But is her mom choosing to see the experience through her daughter's excited eyes? You bet.

I'm trying. I really am :)

11 comments:

Laura ~Peach~ said...

what a good mom... her and you :) I try and many times what i see scares the shit out of me... I recall when I was her age and realise *sarcasm* I was quite invincible and knew alot...

now I have seen more than I really care to and have a hard time letting my knowledge go to see through her nieve eyes.... sigh... let me know if you figure out the secret

Unknown said...

What a great attitude and one I plan on adopting in the future. I am going to ponder on how I can use this thought in my own life. An attitude of excitement.

I wonder if it will work at the office?

As Cape Cod Turns said...

Excitement? I will try, but next year one daughter moves to the upstairs of the middle school (5-6grades) and the other to the downstairs of the middle school (7-8 grades). Maybe I can get a face lift so my face is in a permanent smile?

Unknown said...

That mother is to be commended, BIG TIME!
Such a GREAT way to look at her daughters future!
I was Excited , yet sad when PP Graduated 22 ? years ago! (My mind is going)

Pancake said...

What a great mom! Greta example! The daughter will have wonderful experiences! I worked with a girl and she spent the summer in Russia teaching englsih, then went to Brazil, now she is in China! LOVES IT!

Driftwood and Pumpkin said...

Great post! I actually was the only one not crying at my son's last day of elementary school. The other mothers thought I was heartless until I told them that I was excited for this new phase of life with my child. I was proud of what he had accomplished and excited about the future. They didn't say much after that ;0)

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

What a good mama you are.
It's hard not to worry about your kids. And hard not to be excited for them at the same time. We just have to love them and make sure they get to heaven.
Love U

Mental P Mama said...

Thank you. This is absolutely, 100% what I needed this morning!

Treasia Stepp said...

I am trying so very hard to take this same attitude about college and growing up as well. Some days are much harder than others though. I suspect this is the case for everyone though.

joanne said...

I love that idea...I wish I would have thought of it when my daughter graduated from high school, college, etc. Instead...sad, teary, crying, mom....oh well.

Betty said...

I remember the day well. It was really VERY exciting for me too. You will love it if you do as your friend said. Great advice!