Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Exhaustion of School

It is no secret that my youngest child does not love school, and as a result, loses a great deal of sleep during the school year.  But fret not!  He has been making up for all that lost sleep this summer.  Take Monday night for example.

He went to bed at 9 pm and was asleep by 10 pm.  At 2.30 PM the next day, I forced him to awaken and get out of bed.  He drifted downstairs and promptly dozed for another hour in the game room.

Knowing that he is healthy and otherwise nicely active, I am not overly worried about the sleeping.  What does worry me, however, is the math I've been doing.  It appears that when school resumes on September 7, if my child is to get all the sleep he seems to currently need, he is going to have to go to bed before school is dismissed each day.

I'm not really sure how the teacher is going to react to this news.

9 comments:

Cranberry Morning said...

Hey, if I had that comfy-looking couch to sleep on, I'd never want to get up either! Makes me just want to shove him off the couch and take a nap myself! :-)

Lucy and Ethel said...

Maybe he's just saving up for school :)

Or not.

Lucy

Busy Bee Suz said...

I am laughing at your 'math' as well.
He must be growing...his body is exhausted!

I Am Woody said...

I've always been a sleeper too!!

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

Mine is on a sleep kick too. He's 11. He used to never sleep.
<><

Unknown said...

My kids always went through growth spurts when they were sleepin like that...and one of them...fell asleep during the day regularly until he was in 4th grade, but then again...he was the one kid that the teachers wished would just go to sleep. You know how this story worked out.

Betty W said...

I like your new blog background. Much easier to read.
You´re a better mom than I, for letting him sleep so long. I would probably wake mine at noon... :)

Mrs4444 said...

That's funny. In a growth spurt, maybe?

Anonymous said...

Oh my - is he a teenager? Perhaps he could start napping during the last lesson at school?